RocketLab to transport cargo, GalaxySpace raises $1.58B, and Bengaluru Space Expo brings out many outputs
Precious Payload Weekly Smallsat News: September 6 — 11
Here’s what you need to know about the recent smallsat headlines.
🇺🇸Blue Origin reported a booster failure on today’s uncrewed NS-23 mission flight with 36 payloads aboard. The escape system performed as designed. [Twitter]
🇺🇸Firefly scrubbed the orbital launch of its Alpha rocket (To the Black mission) due to a drop in helium pressure. The next launch attempt is scheduled for 3:00 PM PDT on September 12. [Twitter]
🇨🇳Kuaizhou-1A solid rocket carried two commercial smallsats, CentiSpace 1-S3 and 1-S4 satellites, by 🇨🇳Beijing Future Navigation Technology from 🇨🇳Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center. [Space.com]
🇺🇸Rocket Lab signed an agreement with the 🇺🇸United States Transportation Command to use the company’s Neutron, Electron, and Photon launch vehicle capabilities for cargo transportation around the world. [ParabolicArc]
🇹🇷Hello Space’s first test PocketQube satellite ‘Istanbul’ will be launched via a 🇺🇸Falcon9 rocket in February 2023 and will provide communication data service. [SmallSatNews]
🇮🇹D-Orbit wins a public tender to carry and deploy two of 🇩🇪TU Berlin’s satellites on its ION Satellite Carrier in Q2 of 2023. [ParabolicArc]
🇺🇸Iridium plans to launch five of its six satellites aboard Falcon 9 in 2023 from Vandenberg Space Force Base in 🇺🇸California. [SpaceNews]
🇺🇸Sidus Space signed a launch agreement with 🇺🇸SpaceX for launching its LizzieSat constellation over five launches, beginning in early 2023. [ParabolicArc]
🇰🇷Nara Space will integrate 🇫🇷Syrlinks’ X-Band transmitter, EWC27, into its 12U BUSANSAT, which can receive marine spatial information and monitor fine dust. The launch of the 1-year lifetime satellite is planned for 2024 (the launch provider is not mentioned). [SmallSatnews]
🇫🇮Iceye partners with 🇬🇧BAE Systems for the latter’s first multi-sensor four-satellite cluster Azalea to deliver real-time data for military customers. They plan a launch for 2024 (the launch provider is not mentioned). [ParabolicArc]
🇮🇳Bengaluru Space Expo 2022 led to a bunch of signed MoUs:
- The 🇮🇳NSIL and 🇮🇳Hindustan Aeronautics-🇮🇳L&T consortium have a contract for the production of five PSLVs with the first rocket to be ready by 2024.
- 🇮🇳Ananth Technologies and 🇦🇺Space Machines Company will work together on cooperative space missions, technological development, product integration, and testing.
- 🇦🇺SABRN Health and 🇮🇳DCube will develop and integrate hardware, sensor technologies, and software to support astronauts’ health.
- 🇦🇺HEX20 will work with 🇮🇳Skyroot Aerospace to provide launch services, spacecraft avionics, and components to Australian space initiatives.
- 🇦🇺QL Space and 🇮🇳Skyroot Aerospace will further develop Australian launch facilities as well as support joint space mineral exploration missions.
- 🇦🇺QL Space and 🇮🇳GalaxEye will develop a hybrid optic and radar payload together to reduce the environmental impact of critical mineral exploration.
- 🇦🇺QL Space and 🇮🇳SatSure will cooperate to build satellite and AI-based solutions supporting agriculture, mining, and defense industries. [SpaceWatchGlobal]
🇺🇸Adranos opened up a new production facility in Indiana to design, manufacture and test its aluminum-lithium alloy solid rocket fuel, ALITEC. [SpaceNews]
🇺🇸Albedo raises $48M with plans to finalize the manufacturing and testing of its first VLEO satellite, along with the software for satellite operations and imagery distribution. [Spacenews]
🇨🇳GalaxySpace raises $1.58B funds to work on R&D and stackable satellite bus with a phased array flat panel antenna and flexible solar array, which is planned to launch in early 2023. [SpaceNews]
🇺🇸Kall Morris Inc. (KMI) gets awarded three study contracts worth $750,000 to work with the 🇺🇸University of Southern California, 🇺🇸Stanford University, and 🇺🇸MIT under the Space Force’s Orbital Prime program for its space cleanup concept using adhesive arms to capture debris objects. [SpaceNews]
Check out Precious Payload Weekly Smallsat News: August 29 — September 5